Rolling Stock Mechanical Design / Lead Architect
Berlin, Germany , Negotiable
2019-03-20 12:01:25 +0000
Rail - Rolling Stock - Mechanical Design / Lead Architect - Berlin
My client is a globally recognised engineering company with 50,000 staff worldwide, €3bn turnover last year operating in over 30 countries. They are due to start a new major rail (rolling stock) project in Berlin and seeking to put a new team together consisting of team leads and team members.
Responsibilities of the Mechanical Vehicle Architect:
- Assume responsibility for planning and coordinating the activities involved in defining the physical and functional architecture of a mass transit product. In the product architecture, incorporate technical specifications, product management and industrial design considerations, and manufacturing strategies, and use standardised components and systems;
- Decide on the methods, studies and tests required to evaluate various concepts;
- Analyse technical files submitted to you;
- Approve mechanical concept analyses, studies and documents;
- Ensure that the results of structural and ergonomic analyses, preliminary calculations of energy consumption, ventilation, comfort, ride, noise, thermal insulation, etc. are built into the product architecture;
- Participate in developing cost studies using a Design to Cost approach, and in developing and optimising the assembly line and various manufacturing technologies;
- Act as a technical supervisor, guiding the work of the engineers, technicians and other persons that make up the group for which you will be responsible.
- Analyse engineering process and capture requirements of existing work packages from bid to homologation activities and compile training documents
Ideally the Mechanical Vehicle Architect will possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent;
- A demonstrable track record of managing engineering projects from design to implementation; creating and executing recommendations for improvement.
- Be able to provide cost and schedule estimates on complicated engineering programs.
- Experienced in working across function, with customers and suppliers and to board level.
- Have previously provided technical expertise in physical integration, creating vehicle architecture concepts and demonstrated the ability to use this technical knowledge in support of other departments, such as production, procurement and projects.
Please note this Mechanical Design position is based on-site in Berlin and remote is not an option for this position.