Rolling Stock Electrical Design / Lead Architect
Berlin, Germany , Negotiable
2019-03-20 11:42:23 +0000
Rail - Rolling Stock - Electrical Lead Architect - Berlin
My client is a globally recognised engineering company with 50,000 staff worldwide, €3bn turnover last year operating in over 30 countries. They are due to start a new major rail (rolling stock) project in Berlin and seeking to put a new team together consisting of team leads and team members.
Technically define, develop and lead the whole of the design for a rolling stock rail project Option. With full design life-cycle responsibility, from ensuring a complete and correct set of requirements are established to ensuring the developed train architectures, concepts and designs are valid and correctly integrated as to meet the technical requirements in a class leading, competitive and compliant design.
Key Responsibilities and Challenges of the Lead Design Engineer / Architect:
- Project technical lead with responsibility for the developing the whole train design, directing and guiding the project's design team (direct and indirect reports) to ensure valid key technical design decisions are made in a structured and timely manner, that all technical risks are identified and mitigated.
- Ensuring the technical design is fully integrated and the design verified through the design life cycle against a complete and correct set of technical requirements, using best practice system engineering processes and tools (e.g. Trade Analyses, Interface management, Requirements Management)
- Acting as the principal technical interface to the project's Stakeholders, Engineering Functional Heads and Divisional Leadership team
- Preparing and reporting technically on the project's progress, issues and risks
- Leading the review of customer technical specifications and legislation in order to establish the train level requirements and the subsequent development of the principle design architectures and concepts to meet these requirements.
- Ensuring key decisions regarding architecture, concepts and system technologies solutions are made in a timely manner to ensure bid and project timescales can be achieved.
- Planning and estimating timescales and costs associated with delivery of the scope of work associated with the role.
- Directly managing the scope of work during bids and projects.
- Analyse engineering process and capture requirements of existing work packages from bid to homologation activities and compile training documents
Ideally the Electrical Architect will have:
- Master Degree and/or Chartered status (preferred and essential), PhD degree desirable, with significant previous experience.
- Technical domain experience essential, System Integration experience desirable, System Architectural understanding desirable.
- Evidence of having successfully undertaken a significant technically role, leading small team(s) in the development of a new train design, or an area of train design, from concept developed through to delivery
- Experience or sound understanding of defining, structuring and developing a rolling stock concept and design.
- Experience and hands on delivery of the design, analysis, development, testing and delivery of engineering solutions that solve complex requirements.
- Provide cost and schedule estimates on complicated engineering programs.
- Provide technical expertise in vehicle level concept development
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to use this technical knowledge in the support of other departments (engineering, production, procurement, projects) and the development of less experienced engineering personnel.
- Experience of developing and applying a range of system engineering process and tools e.g. DOORS requirements management database
- Experience of working across many different disciplines, with indirect reports to delivery complaint cost effective solutions technical solutions to schedule and budget.
- Working on rolling stock bids desirable but not essential
- Experience of converting the customer's explicit and implicit technical and functional requirements into technical/ functional specifications to be used by design teams
This role is based on site in Berlin and remote work is not an option for this particular role.